Basic Concepts of Geostatistics – Data Analysis and Variography
Learn the basic concepts and methods underlying the use of geostatistics for geophysics and reservoir modeling.
This course will help you understand the main assumptions of classical geostatistical algorithms, with their pros and cons. At the end of the course, you will be able to be critical about probabilistic reservoir characterization projects.
General overview of geostatistics for Oil & Gas applications:
- Basic probability and statistics (univariate and bivariate)
- Reminders about basic probability and statistics: distributions, mean, variance, correlation coefficient, linear regression…
Importance of data sampling, model resolution, scales
Demonstration with Isatis: Use of linked windows and statistics for experimental data analysis
- The basic tool of geostatistics: quantifying spatial correlation with the variogram. Computation of the experimental variogram, recommendations about variogram calculation parameters: homogeneity of the population, high values…
- Demonstration with Isatis: experimental variogram computation
- Variogram maps and anisotropies
Univariate variogram fitting:
- General principles
- Classical variogram models
- Demonstration with Isatis: the choice of the variogram model
Automatic variogram fitting
Multivariate variogram fitting principles:
- General principles
- The linear model of coregionalization
- Automatic variogram fitting (multivariate case)
Nested variogram models
Demonstration with Isatis: multivariate variogram fitting examples
The course is delivered in one-to-one 4×2-hour online training sessions over 4 consecutive days by our experienced instructors.
You only need an internet connection and headphones with a microphone.
Although examples are given with Isatis software, the concepts and methodologies that will be addressed can easily be applied using your usual geomodeling software package.
This course is part of a live online training program to quickly get acquainted with the essential concepts and methodologies of geostatistics applied to reservoir characterization and modeling.
Courses are given as one-to-one sessions for quality content, better suited to your needs and issues, and facilitated exchange between trainee and trainer.
Note that if the provided scheduled dates are not compatible with your agenda, we invite you to contact us to arrange your own schedule. Course content may also be adapted to your needs on demand.
To learn the fundamentals of geostatistics:
- Basic concepts of geostatistics – Data analysis and variography
- Kriging and cokriging theory and best practices
To go further with geostatistics:
- Advanced mapping techniques and uncertainty quantification
- Geostatistical filtering of seismic data
- Populating a geological model with properties
- Geostatistical simulation post-processing | Integration of dynamic data.