Populating a geological reservoir model with properties
Learn how to generate accurate and reliable geological models using geostatistical simulations.
DURATION: 4x2-hour sessions over 4 consecutive days | LEVEL: ADVANCED
At the end of the course, you will be aware of the different methods you may use for simulating facies, with the pros and cons for each one. You will also get insights on advanced methods for simulating continuous properties inside facies.
- Presentation of Facies distribution modeling concepts:
– Reference surfaces
– Proportion curves
- Methods for accounting for the lateral non stationarity of facies proportions
Common simulation algorithms for categorical variables:
- Indicator simulations (SIS)
- Truncated Gaussian (TGS) and Plurigaussian (PGS) simulations
- Boolean simulations (object-based)
- Multiple-Point Statistics (MPS)
- Process-based approaches (Flumy).
- Common simulation algorithms for continuous variables:
– Turning Bands
– Sequential Gaussian Simulations (SGS)
- Conditioning simulations to data
- Application to Porosity and Permeability distribution simulation
– Control of Petrophysical properties histogram and spatial continuity
– Border effects characterization and modeling
- Volumetrics and associated uncertainty.
Knowledge of Kriging theory and practice.
The course is delivered in one-to-one 4×2-hour online training sessions over 4 consecutive days by our experienced instructors.
You only need an internet connection and headphones with a microphone.
Although examples are given with Isatis software, the concepts and methodologies that will be addressed can easily be applied using your usual geomodeling software package.
This course is part of a live online training program to quickly get acquainted with the essential concepts and methodologies of geostatistics applied to reservoir characterization and modeling.
Courses are given as one-to-one sessions for quality content, better suited to your needs and issues, and facilitated exchange between trainee and trainer.
Note that if the provided scheduled dates are not compatible with your agenda, we invite you to contact us to arrange your own schedule. Course content may also be adapted to your needs on demand.
To learn the fundamentals of geostatistics:
- Basic concepts of geostatistics – Data analysis and variography
- Kriging and cokriging theory and best practices
To go further with geostatistics:
- Advanced mapping techniques and uncertainty quantification
- Geostatistical filtering of seismic data
- Populating a geological model with properties
- Geostatistical simulation post-processing | Integration of dynamic data.